Capstar Tablets for Dogs Review

An Instant Flea Pill For Your Dog?

Capstar Flea Tablets for Dogs and Cats

Once your dog is infested with fleas, it can be difficult to get rid of all of the adults. There are several different products available, and they all claim to be the best on the market but today we’ll take a look at Capstar Tablets.

Our goal is to help you cut through the marketing hype to find out the real information you need to choose the best product for your dog. We have the necessary information to help you make an intelligent, informed decision.

Company Claims

Capstar Tablets for Dogs is an oral treatment that kills fleas that are currently living on your pet. It starts working in 30 minutes but the effect only lasts for 24 hours.

The tablets are often combined with topical treatments to help prevent future infestations. It is a non-prescription treatment and should only be used as directed.

Active Ingredients

Unlike other medications, this product only has one active ingredient:

  • Nitenpyram

How Capstar Tab Work

Nitenpyram is a neurotoxin that stops messages from travelling through the central nervous system. This causes the fleas to experience paralysis which leads to death within 24 hours. It has no harmful effects on mammals and is safe for use with dogs that are lactating or pregnant.

Usage Information

The tablets are administered orally. You purchase an appropriate dose, based upon the weight of your dog, and give them one pill. The medication starts to enter the blood stream within 30 minutes and lingers for 24 hours. This causes any fleas that bite your dog to be poisoned when they ingest the toxin in the blood.

You can retreat your dog after 24 hours. You should only use the product for 7 days without consulting with your veterinarian.

Only use this product on dogs that are over 4 weeks old and weigh over 2 pounds.

What Are Users Saying?

All of the reviews that we could find on Capstar Tablets were positive. While many people had problems with future infestations, this is caused by not following up the initial treatment with a topical preventative.

One reviewer noted that it killed the fleas on their dog but did nothing for the rest of the fleas in the house. This is because only 30 percent of the fleas live on the dog, the other 70 percent live in the carpet or bedding. This is why a topical follow up is important to help stop future infestations from occurring.

Side Effects and Precautions

There are several side effects possible but the most common one is itching as the fleas die. The fleas have seizures that can cause irritation to the skin of your dog. This usually goes away within a few hours as the fleas cease moving.

Other, very rare, side effect can include: vomiting, depression, itching, diarrhea, trembling, panting or allergic reactions such as hives and salivation.


If you want an instant way to rid your dog of fleas then we would fully recommend Capstar Tablets for Dogs. Being an internal medication, there is no danger to other animals or children. They have very few side effects and there are extremely rare (1:100,000).

It is important to remember that this medication only works for 24 hours and should be combined with a topical flea repellant to prevent future infections.

To find a great deal on Capstar Tablets, click here.

If you’ve used Capstar before, please tell us about your experience in the comments section below.

Be the first! Share your experience!

Tell Us What You Think!

Spam protection (register to skip this)

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.